Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wednesday 1-10 - Second day

I slept at Dani's house and we made our way over to Russel Square station. Everyone was supposed to meet there so we could go together to our cousins for New year lunch. We set off much later than planned, mostly because organising 7 disorganised people can be hard when no one is actually in charge. Then we had to catch the right train. We could only take 2 of a possible 6 trains, but our 2 never turned up. So we caught another train to the point they forked out. Keeping everyone together was chaos.

The cousins lived quite a few zones out. On Dani's advice I had brought a book. I started Anthropologist on Mars, which was neither about anthropologists or Mars. It was one of these books about bizarre neurological conditions. I read through the trip.

Soon enough we were out of one train and soon onto another. From there we walked around for a while trying to find a taxi. When that failed we walked. I was reminded of the times in Europe when Josh and I ended up lost and confused. Except that now we also had the entire family, parents, grandparents and all. We got to the house more than an hour late.

Once inside we all relaxed and chatted away. I love their adorable dog who happens to be blind. I felt bad that I laughed every time he walked into a door or a wall. Then again, it was pretty funny.

We sat down at the first authentic Jewish table I had seen in months. It was like being back at home. Blessings over wine and challah. I thought it was interesting that we each had a choice of a small cup of wine or peach schnapps. Then chopped liver and egg salad. Than yummy lentil pie, stew and chicken. Dessert was ice cream, jelly and other assorted goodies.

I was chock full by the end of it. We all chatted and laughed and bid farewell. We all walked slowly back to the station, still in conversation. The train back was much easier, since all the trains went to the same place.

Only the grandparents, Dad, Josh and I wanted dinner that night. So we popped round to the local Italian. I was still so full, Josh and I shared lasagna. It was enough.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"peach schnapps, babes love it!"

i cant believe you laughed at dog :(

- helen

also, when are you coming hooooome?

Emma Lurie said...

23rd November I arrive back in Perth.

I'm thinking of a homecoming thing the next Saturday (29th) maybe.

Anonymous said...

does the excited dance
that sounds cool

- helen