Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tuesday 28-10 - Apocalypse

I got out the house late and walked down to meet Lioni and Karen at Wahaca for lunch. They do the most amazing Mexican style food. Especially good is the salad, which has lettuce, pumpkins seeds, avo, meat, black beans and quinoa served in a bowl made of deep fried tortilla.

Then Lioni and I walked down to the Tate Modern. I hadn't yet seen the new Unilever piece in the turbine hall, so I was interested. The only other Unilever commissioned piece I had seen was the set of twisty slides a few years back. They were great, I got to slide down tube slides that started at the top floor of the museum and ended at ground.

The new piece was by Dominique Gonzalez-Foerster, called TH.2058. It was meant to symbolise a post-apocalyptic world of the future. As I approached the green and red plastic curtains leading to the exhibit, I looked up. I noticed the writing, journal-like, sitting above.

Red and green curtains

Stepping inside, there was the sound of rain around me. In front of me, 200 yellow and blue metal bunk beds. Above them stood the centre pieces of the room, two giant monuments that seemed to touch the roof. One was an abstract red metal sculpture. The other a colossal spider formed from twisted black metal. Its menacing legs perched ominously between the beds.

TH 2058 at the Tate

Twisted legs

Scattered on the beds were books. I didn’t recognise them all, but they ran along a similar theme. The end of the world.

Books on beds

At the front of the room, a movie screen playing silent scenes from old apocalyptic films. Next to it, there sat some almost grotesque smaller sculptures. One like a rotten apple.

Giant rotten apple of the Tate

The other was the skeleton of a dog like creature the size of a dinosaur. It bared it teeth without moving.

Remnants 2

The whole experience would have been chilling, if not for the mid school break. The room was full to the brim with kids. They ran around screaming and throwing the books. Oh well. I spent some time browsing the amazing Tate bookshop.

It was a really cold day. We briefly met the mums at Corams but it was just about to close. We got a message from Josh that it might start snowing up at Milton Keynes. That would be cool, I thought.

Back at the flat we had dinner. The others went to bed. I got a message from Dani that it was snowing in Bethnal Green. I looked out our window and sure enough, there was snow. It was a light fall. I could see the gently falling specks by the glow of the street light. A car parked below was covered in white. My brother and sister and I got excited as one. It didn’t matter we were in different parts of the UK.

My first London snow

No comments: