Monday, October 27, 2008

Saturday 25-10 - THE Hamlet.

This was one of those days that had been planned for before I had even left Australia. A year ago, some time in October I had booked tickets for a Royal Shakespeare Company playing of Hamlet. Hamlet, featuring Patrick Stuart and David Tennant. I could hardly have imagined two actors that I would have rather seen doing the play. I booked the tickets and got really excited, then not thought about it much as I traveled around. But this was the day. It was finally here.

We had 4 tickets, plus one that Steve had booked but couldn´t use. But with little cousin Aiden, Karen couldn´t make it. Then Dani couldn´t get anyone to cover for her at work and to our dismay couldn´t go either. So it was Josh, Me, Mara and Keith, who had bought some of the tickets off us. We found a buyer for the final ticket at the last minute.

The play was at Stratford apon Avon, 3 hours away by train. We got up early enough to not be in a rush to get to our 1pm matinée show. Except that the tickets were still at Dani. Crap.

I took a speedy Saturday morning cab to Dani´s place and then rushed to the station. The extra time meant we had to catch the slower train which left later. Not only was it slower, but also 10 pound more expensive and needed a change over.

But no matter. I used the time to read my book of Klingon Hamlet, which had the play in both Klingon and English. To my shame, I had never read the play before. I realised I should probably have some idea what was going on.

Our seats were quite high up, but right in the middle. The view was great from everywhere though. I was so excited to see Stuart and Tennant in action.

The Play.

The costumes and sets were modern adaptations.The opening scene was almost in complete darkness. The guards were dressed as modern guards would and flashing torches around. They used the torch reflection on the shiny floor to light up the other actors´ faces. Brilliant. The royal dress was like modern royalty. With the sounds of paparazzi in the background.

Early on in the play Hamlet (Tennant) is playing crazy. He wore jeans, an old orange t-shirt and no shoes. We all loved his bare feet. Actually he was in bare feet through most of the play, even when the rest of him was in a tux and crown. He was a master of the quirky and a slightly mad. What a perfect actor for the role. He sly remarks and glances, his sneaky off beat comments. It reminded me a lot of the guys down in Graylands mental hospital. He also brought the humour into the play. At one point he was rolled onto the stage duct taped to a wheelie chair. Very well done.

Stuart was just incredible. He had the presence of a seasoned Shakespeare actor. His voice was deep and majestic. I loved seeing him at work. His talents almost seem wasted on TV. Polonius was fantastic as well. He did the old man forgetful thing like it was the most natural thing in the world. Every one in the play was amazing. I tried my hardest not to be the squealing fan girl. But I couldn´t wipe the smile from my face.

It was already 5 by the time the play finished and we got out of the theatre. I didn´t much like the idea of the long train ride back, so we got the ok to jump onto the faster cheaper. It only took 2 hours and was direct to London. I ate a giant white chocolate chip cookie on the way.

I was exhausted from all the travel and didn´t go out that night. It was all worth it though.

No comments: