Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Saturday 11-10 - The Surprise and Girls Night

Dani headed of to work and I slow got out of bed. I showered and dressed. Then I got a call from Josh. The uni had organised a day trip down by bus to London. They had about 4 hours to see all of the city. Even a weekend isn´t enough time. There were a few guys and a girl. I think most were French.

I met them at St Paul´s cathedral. We had lunch at subway (the only shop that was open) then we planned a walking tour of London. We walked up to the British Museum to see the contemporary statues and the Egyptian exhibit. Josh popped out to see Karen and Aiden. So I was baby sitting again, only this time it was international students.

The Museum was having its ¨The Big Draw¨day, encouraged young and old alike to draw. My Perth friends Mara and Gemma were at the gallery, helping out with the Big Draw activities. It was nice running into them. I tried to persuade Josh´s classmates to have a draw while we waited for him. Except for the girl, none seemed interested, but even she took time to convince. I sat down and started to draw, but Josh got back before I could finish. So off we went again.

The next leg of the journey went through Covent Garden up to seven dials, the sun dial. We took one of the seven roads that meet there, though I can never remember which is which. Then all the way down to Piccadilly Circus. They had really wanted to go there to see the big bill boards. I realised that I hadn´t been down there for years. I couldn´t think of a reason I would want to be there. The area was full of tourists and Ripley's believe it or not. Souvenir shops and the like. But they enjoyed it. I had more enjoyed the museum, with its spontaneous events and happenings.

By then it as getting late, I had told Dani I would visit her at work. I got lost finding the right street and had to ask for directions at a police station. Then a long walk to her book shop. She closed, then we were joined by her housemates Felicity and Maria. Back at the house we made up dinner of stuffed capsicum with rice and zucchini.

Stuffed capsicum with rice and zuchinni

Then we all sat around drinking wine and reading the timeout. We went through a number of plans for the night, but just couldn´t decide what to do. Maria, Dani and I set ourselves on an indie band night in Shoreditch.

Everyone is snap happy

At the club we caught the start of the support act, Tin Can Telephone. They were really sweet indie pop and nice to listen to.

Tin Can Telephones

In between we danced a little. Felicity arrived with some other friends. We danced a lot more.

Felicity arrives

Dancing at last days of Decadence

The main act Fryers came on, surrounded in blue fairy lights. They were more upbeat than the previous act, which suited us perfectly. We took up half the floor jumping about. Most of the crowd just stood still.

Fryers

The boys that arrived with Felicity were not happy. They wanted to go elsewhere. So on a bus we all hopped, singing loudly as we went. We got to The Russian Club, at which the boys knew the bouncer and helped us skip the line. Drum and bass blared over the packed dance floor. Everyone in the club was wearing tracksuits and hoodies. We thought they usually dressed like that and wear kind of nervous. It was intimidating. Until we found out it was only a ´tracksuit party´.

the Russian club 2

None of us girls were enjoying the club, so we hopped a bus back to our first club. We stopped on the way for a small bottle of vodka to hide in a bag.

Bus to Shoreditch

By the time we got back the place had emptied out. Plus they took our vodka away. So we left, picked up our booze at the door and walked in the direction of home. Still we were singing every song we could think of that was loud and fun. We bought Kebabs and sat next to some guys outside a club to eat. The bouncers tried to move us on but we stayed and chatted. The group worked at a bar down the road and had just gotten off duty.

I will survive, yeah yeah.

We found an empty laundromat.

Felicity in the washing machine 1

Ohno, I am in a washing machhine

Back in the house kitchen we chatted away and ended up in fits of laughter until early in the morning.

No comments: