Thursday, October 9, 2008

Saturday 4-10 - Milton keynes

Dad left in the morning. Dani was at work, but the rest of us waved to him from the window. I had two jobs for the day. First I was to go up to Cranfield with Josh to help set up. Next I was to help Dani bake cupcakes for her stall the following day. I had slept at Karen's, so the only shoes I had on me were my new heeled boots. Not the best shoes for carrying moving boxes back and forward.

A driver and black mini-van arrived to pick up 1 bag, 4 boxes and 2 people. He was a nice, chatty guy. He even offered us lollies. It must have been a long trip, but I didn't notice the time pass. Before I knew it we were outside Josh's residence. It was a nice new building with huge windows. Time to move in.

Josh´s moving boxes

We dragged the boxes through the lift to the room, all the while with my toitering on dangerous heels. The room was surprisingly large. It even had an ensuite. We unpacked the books onto shelves and then took a taxi to Milton Keynes.

Waiting for taxi to Milton Keynes

A note on Milton Keynes (from the ol' wiki). Milton Keynes is the closest town to the university. One of the first post-war 'planned towns', from 1967. It has that 'perfect small town' feel about it. It has a shopping centre, a train station and an indoor ski hill. It is kinda of boring. But replace kind of with very. Everytime we tell people that Josh will be there, they say 'oh god, I'm so sorry'.

The colossus of a shopping centre is basically the centre point of the town. I think half the population of MK was in that building. Within it is every shop known to man. All we needed was home wares. Bring lunch time, we looked to a food court. Finding food there was more difficult than it should be in a huge mall. we ended up at Giraffe. I had grilled chicken, spicy prawn and mango salad.

Chicken, spicy prawn and mango salad

Josh needed bed sheets, bed cover and towels. So we hit up the big homewares stores. Part of my job also included colour coordinating the sheets and towels, since Josh has problems with reds. There were some other things on the list but we were already exhausted. He could always come back another day for the rest.

The taxi dropped me off at the train station. A few hours later I was back at Dani. Dinner was awesome soup and yummy bread rolls. It was exactly what I needed.

Guy on train

We made cupcakes all night, while watching cartoons off the internets and drinking wine. My favourite cupcakes were the vanilla icing batch, with red icing and topped with love heart candy.

2 comments:

David Adam (zanchey) said...

"Note for Americans and other aliens: Milton Keynes is a new city approximately halfway between London and Birmingham. It was built to be modern, efficient, healthy and, all in all, a pleasant place to live. Many Britons find this amusing."
-- Good Omens, Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Emma Lurie said...

Haha, I like that one.