Friday, November 21, 2008

Thursday 20-11 - Trek for tiles

I woke up early enough to good bye to Karen and Aiden before she left for work. It was sad. But I knew it probably be too long before I saw her again. The nanny came to look after Aiden and I said a good bye to him. The next time I saw him, he would be much much older.

I set off to Danis. We went out to our favourite local for a huge and unfinishable breakfast. The plan was to stay around the house and watch movies together. I realised I had things of Karens I needed to get back to her,I so I tubed back to the flat first. When I returned Dani and Maria had already left the house to go on a house errand. So I joined them.

The massive party on Saturday had left the roof ties in a wreck, so Myles had ordered some new tiles and asked the girls to pick them up. He said a few of us should, as they might be heavy. We took the bus to Bow church. Then walked in the bitter cold for what seemed like a strangely long time. We should have looked at a map book sooner. We had gone the wrong way and walked half way home. We were too tired to walk back so we took another bus back up the road.

Back to where we started. We finally found the address, only to see posters all around that read:

We have moved.

We decided we weren´t going to give up on this, so we walked in the direction of the new shop. 15 minutes and a few wrong turns later we found the tiles shop. We looked very out of place, three small girls in nice clothes lost among the bricks, fork trucks and large men in reflective vests. We stumbled into the office and up to the counter.

We told the nice guy there which order was ours. He looked at us and said ¨Did you bring a car?¨
He subtlely laughed at us when we said no. Apparently Myles had ordered many large, heavy tiles and not fully explained this us. Somehow the three of us would have to get these home.

The man was a champ though, he called a minicab for us and even took some money off the price because he felt sorry for us. Over the awkward next half hour we got the tiles into the car and back to the curb of Dani´s house. It took two people a time and three trips to get them all upstairs. It gave us a sense of satisfaction though.

Then came our reward. we sat on Dani´s bed. We drank hot chocolate with mint baileys, ate biscuits and watched the Tick. It was a good afternoon. In the evening I said goodbye to the room mates in the kitchen. The boys went up for a bit of late night roof tiling and we settled or a quiet and relaxing evening. This was my last night in London. In Europe.

For a while at least.

No comments: