Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Sunday 16-11 - Aftermath

We woke up at 9am. The sleep wasn´t great, but it was better than nothing. The music was still pumping in the other room. Dani and I got up to have a look. There were still people dancing on Maria´s dance floor. A few were huddled on the couches. The stair cases were clogged with people half dazed.

In the light I could finally get a good look at the state of the place. It wasn´t pretty. The floors were covered in club scum. Everything secured had been torn apart. The bed was covered in mysterious stains. There was dirt on parts of the wall no one could even reach. Out of the bedroom followed the trails of empty cans and bottles. There were unmentionable things in the toilets and showers.

My head was hurting despite the small amount of alcohol I had drunk. I was annoyed at all people,especially those who showed so little respect for other peoples things. Michael was manning the laptop music. None of the other house mates were anywhere to be seen.

After surveying the damage Michael and I picked up some garbage bags, bottles of cleaner and paper towels. We shut down the music and started picking up the sea of trash in Maria´s. I opened up curtains in hope of persuading the hangers on to leave. They just wouldn´t go. It was 11 or so before the dancing stopped.

We were feeling awful and had to get our of the house. So Michael, Dani, myself and 2 other guys walked down the road to an old mans pub. We had a pint and lunch. I had pad Thai. It was spicier than I expected and ended up making me feel even worse, but at least it was food in my stomach. We sat there for as long as we could, putting off the inevitable clean up.

But enough was enough. We walked back and continued the clean. The stragglers were gone. Dani went up to the roof to check the damage and I followed. There were broken tiles, caved in areas and for some reason a fire extinguisher.

I started mopping floors while other tackled the surfaces and the kitchen. After a while I decided I had done enough. I went to Karen´s to finish my recovery. When I got there I found out that Aiden had also not been feeling well. Neither had the babysitter. It seems that this virus had been all over the city.

I showered and rested for the rest of the night.

No comments: