Thursday, November 6, 2008

Monday 3-11 - Babysitting Day 1

Karen had asked me to babysit. Not for an hour, but for about 5. I had never looked after a baby for so long before. It was a new experience. I had done all the separate care taking activities in my time with Aiden. Changing him, feeding him, bottle feeding him, getting him to sleep. But not a day where I was responsible for everything at once.

We started out to walking to the British Museum. We looked at the statues and Egyptian things until he went to sleep. I took him around to a park while he slept, then back home to feed him. I was getting the hang of this baby thing.

A fan of Greek sculpture

What was interesting was the reactions of people to a baby, depending on who is driving the stroller. Everyone must assume I'm the young mother. I got asked things about the baby like I was the mum. And three different people asked me for directions.

In the afternoon I set out for the park. It was cold, oh so cold. I met up with Karen. Its funny how a kid who was an angel all day will become a screaming mess 10 minutes before his mum arrives. But he settled, then Karen and I had tea at Brunswick centre.

She still had some stuff to do, so I took Aiden to the toy centre at Coram´s fields. We played with the toys there until they kicked us out, then hung out at the park until it closed and kicked us out as well. So back home we went.

Karen met us back there. One of her friends came back as well, so we all had wine and talked once the babe was in bed. I explained about the culture of internet scenes like fanfiction and live journal. The night was good.

No comments: