Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Thursday 07-08 - The cake, the Batman

Both Josh and I slept in. I needed the catch upon sleep, especially in such a warm,safe environment. An excellent recharge from the travelling. We slowly dressed and in no hurry jumped over to Dani´s place. Today Stacey was leaving and we had planned to see the Dark Knight.

We stopped on the way to pick up rolls and bits for lunch. I found everyone in the kitchen. They had been baking a cake. There was something being beaten in a mix master. The cake cooked in the oven. A few of the flat mates were there, Alex and Felicity. They were helping with the icing making and also eating their own lunches.

The icing was to be peanut butter flavoured. I think there was an entire jar of the stuff in the mix. There chocolate. Then they wanted even more chocolate, so Stace and I got some from the local store. The one housemate became obsessed with this peanut butter icing and ate dollops out of the bowl.

alex falls in love with peanut butter icing

The cake was done but still needed to cool. So we left it there and headed off to the tube station, where we said farewell to Stacey. It was nice seeing her again, even if it was just for a day. Seeing any familiar face was a good thing at that point. I was really staring to miss some of the people back. Maybe even planning my coming home party.

We walked on. At the cinema I realised I had only brought my prescription sunglasses and not my regular glasses. which was annoying. So we sat close enough that I could see. It wasn´t too close though, the large screen makes a difference.

The movie was good. I had been looking forward to seeing it for a long time and it didn't disappoint. I love this new batman style they've created. Its dark and interesting and has some of my favourite actors like Gary Oldman and Maggie Gyllenhaal. We saw it with Alex the housemate and we all enjoyed it.

Back at Dani´s we sat around and chatted in the kitchen while Dani iced the cake. It looked amazing iced. She sprayed a pink colouring on top of the brown icing. Then write messages on the top. The cake was a birthday, farewell and welcome cake for three of the housemates. A real all purpose cake. She left it on the side with instructions not to eat until she got back. The reason being we had all planned to eat Chinese take out and movie a video with Karen back at hers.

multipurpose cake by  Dani

We ordered then picked up tasty chinese take out from the place down the road. Then drank some wine and some pimms. We didn't watch a movie. We didn't even watch the TV. We just sat and talked the whole night. It was great. We spent the time enjoying each others company. I felt so relaxed. This is just what I had needed after the travels and the running around and the bad news and the disappointments.

No comments: