Sunday, August 24, 2008

Friday 22-08 - The Zoo and the drunk

Another late start.

We decided today was the perfect day for the zoo. So we packed our bags with sangria in water bottles and Halloween themed potato snacks and off we went. Some of the other Australians said they might join us. We didn´t really expect them to follow through though.

Enormous sangria

Halloween themed chips

It was over cast when we reached the zoo. I hoped that this wouldn´t be the one time it rained while we were in the city. The first animal we saw was the alpaca. We watched it for a while.

Alpaca and Malfi

We saw a bunch of animals that were fun. We drank the sangria as we went. The rain started, at first only as a light shower. But we didn´t mind so much.

Moutain goat

The selling point of the zoo was the dolphinarium with the live dolphin shows. It was strange seeing dolphins in the middle of the land locked grounds around the desert creatures.

Dolphin at the zoo 2

I fell a bit in love with the sea lions. They barks like dogs and act like dogs, if dogs were made for swimming. Plus there was a pup. Adorable.

I heart sea lions

Really into sea lions 1

It started to rain. Really rain. We didn´t let that stop us. We bought popcorn and pints of beer (in a zoo!) and headed to the dolphin show. We huddled under umbrellas on the open seats in front of the pool.

Downpour at dolphin show

Dolpin show : not that interesting

I sat on my bag to save myself from the seats, which were as full of water as the pools were. Bad idea. After a mediocre dolphin show I realised that my bag had been soaked right through. Everything was drenched. I was tipsy from beer and spent 15 minutes drying my bag and sopping wet skirt under the bathroom hand dryer. The electronics were ok, but some of my cards were soaked through. The sun came out eventually.

We continued to do our round of animals. The reptile house and primates were all good, as were the tapirs and the albino wallaby. The penguins are always fun.

Fascination

Making contact

We almost ran to the big cats because the zoo was going to close soon. Then we meandered back via the slide of a children´s playground.

Moving really fast

Back at the hostel. More drinking games. So much to drink. The on the metro with the group to a place that gave us free shots. Then someone bought a round of shots.

Bashful

DonĀ“t even ask whats in them

We took some of group and went to a bar called Sidecar that was supposed to have good tunes. Someone gave me some of their beer.

Train station pose 3

Entrance to the club came with a free beer. I think you know where all this is leading. I recall the strap of my bag finally breaking and almost passing out. I remember insulting one of our companions´ dance moves. But not much more than that.

No comments: