Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Saturday 16-08 - Day 3, Pukkelpop 2008

I woke up in the tent heat and quickly opened the zip for that first breath of fresh air. I gulped down the cool breeze, got dressed and set off for the final day.

We started with the black kids. They were good and the one songs was a triplet love moment. The rest of the set was only mediocre.

The Black Kids

We walked around and got ice cream. Nevermind the non-rain, there was sunburn to worry about. We sat to listen to some bands under a tent and enjoyed toffee and ice cream and chocolate together.

Vanilla toffee crunch joy

Next we saw Yeasayer. They also, were just ok. I think both acts were unlucky to be on the stage with very poor sound. It ruined alot of the act. We ran to see the last half of MGMT. The tent was packed. Even the area around the tent was backed. We couldnt get anywhere near it. It was a pity but not worth standing around.

Yeasayer 2

So we went to the petit bazaar. It was a small carnival and had a bunch of people painting. They were all standing around painting square wooden boards with spray paint and rollers. We found out that anyone was free to paint a square and that later they would be auctioned off to raise money for a youth fund. The three of us decided to share a board and make a triplet themed piece. I had so much fun painting. I had forgotten how much fun painting was. The piece was a tribute to our connection to each other.

The triplet painting of love

We had extra time so we left the festival site to find cheaper food and red bull. There was no red bull to buy on site, which I thought was insane for a three day festival. We hid them in our bags to pass security and went back in. Dani and I got past the check point but they found Josh´s can so he had to skull it down.

We went for the first time to the main stage for block party. We were stuck behind raucous teens who were more interested in being on camera than in the music itself. After they were done we got as close to the centre of the stage as we could. Our whole area was filled with nice Australian girls whom we chatted to between sets.

The final act, Sigur Ros. A post rock group from Iceland, I was looking forward even more to seeing them since I missed my only other when they came to Perth. It was a pity that this chance was dulled by the only location we could get. We were at the front, but were stuck slightly off to the side. There were an enormous black block placed inconveniently high and right in front of us. The result being that all we could see was the block, the massive screen of the show infront of us and the lead singers head peaking over in the distance.

Despite the set backs it was a dream. His angelic vocals melted my heart and lifted me up. They started with Glossoli and then my all time favourite Hoppipolla (a song about jumping in puddles). They went threw many old songs and some new songs.

They started on the new single. Over the side sections of the audience exploded white crete paper bits. Over the centre section blew white confetti. This went on for the entirity of the song. After the song was done the "snow" continued to fall all threw the next song. I smiled the whole time.

A final bow from Sigur Ros

After the show we moved to a tent to see crystal castles. I was suddenly hit by a wave of tiredness, my red bull have just worn off. I stepped out for some coffee and some fresh air. I watched the last stalls closed as the festival prepared for a year long hibernation. We made our way back to camp and slept.

No comments: