Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thursday 19-06 - Catch up day

We woke up late that day. I woke up mid morning and wondered down to the mini-mart to pick up a tuna pasta salad pack for lunch and some water. Eventually Josh woke up and we made our way to town. We really needed internet at that point. We found Mykonos internet world. We spent 4 hours with a lot of net related house keeping and organising future meet ups with people in Italy.

While I waited for Josh to finish his bit I looked around the small book exchange library in the shop. A few shelves of books on a take one – leave one basis. My eyes landed on a spine that read Chaucer. It was a selection of the Canterbury Tales with explanation of the text. Interesting, sitting next to cheap romance novels and Greece guide books. I sat and read a page or two. Its the kind of book where every second line you have to look at the foot notes for translation. The medieval english can be tricky. But I got really into it. I almost didn't want to leave it there, I wanted to keep reading.

We returned to the hotel for a shower and a small pre-drink. Then we met the rest of the tour group in town. Niki had organised everyone to go out again that night. Not to Paradise Beach, but to a popular and bar and club in town called the Scandinavian Bar.

On the way I was harassed by a man dressed as clown. He wasn´t funny. I wasn´t in the mood for clowns.

Annoying clown

Niki led everyone upstairs to the dance floor of the bar. We were the only ones there at that point. They hadn't out cloudy white shots to everyone and we started to dance.

Lemon flavoured shots

Well, tried at least. The music was slow R&B stuff and quite boring for me. We tried to dance to it, but I was getting restless. I tried requests to the DJ. He didn't have anything I wanted. The only maybe was the Gorillaz, which I was quite happy to have. He played the Gorillaz´s Dirty Harry. Josh and I started to get into into it. I looked around 30 seconds into the song and we were the only ones on the floor. We had completely killed the dance floor with our song choice. Everyone else in the group had scampered when they heard it, but it wasn´t really that much different to their stuff. The DJ made a salvage attempt and cut our song in the middle. Everyone else returned to the floor, but we left it.

Josh and I decided to try some other bars and clubs to find somewhere we could better appreciate. We went to a few, but maybe it is still too early in the season. The crowd just wasn´t into it. So we got some pita souvlaki and headed for the bus station. Well, more of a stop really, there was no building per se.

I thought back to that Chaucer book from earlier. I was drawn to it. I need to take it with me. On the way back we checked the internet store to see if we could get the Chaucer book. It was closed so we decided to return the next day.

I sat on the bus, waiting for it to start. As I watched, the bus became filled with the majority of the topdeck group who went to the Scandinavian. They were also catching the last bus home. Also on the bus was the annoying American hat guy. I think he might have remembered me from the night before when I scolded him for being loud. He didn't meet my eye.

No comments: