Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sunday 08-06 - The Wall

We started out at the citadel, also known as the tower of David.

Tower of David

Em with a good view

The complex has a large museum about the complete history of Jerusalem.

Citadel wall

The citadel grounds

It started with a bizarre short film. It was animated and slightly creepy, with dramatic music and different surreal styles of animation. We were left at the end not quite knowing what to think about it.

We moved up to an observation point and one of many metal models of the city at different stages. Malfi had lots of fun here.

Malfi in the tower

Josh, dome

Em with the Dome of the Rock

Then each stage of the history was set out in a different room. I liked the roman room. It had dioramas of temple scenes and the Romans taking over the city. But used light and perspective in the most spectacular ways. I was very impressed. Each room had similar exhibits in different styles and utilising a vast range of multimedia to get the message across.

Em crouched at a window

We went to the Cardo, the Jewish shopping area in the old city.

Josh in Jewish quarter

It has all the Judaica you could ever need. Hais and Magen Davids (star of David) and kippot (yamulkas). Lots of silver. We bought some Magen Davids. Then bagels for lunch.

Jew bagel

Next we wanted to go to the Kotel (Wetern Wall).

I wanted to wear a long skirt for modesty. I found a skirt in the David st market, but it was far too long for me. I ducked into a room out of an alley on the way to the wall. It was a green bin storage area, but oh well. I tried rolling it up, but it looked ridiculous. So I turned it into a dress and used its ribbon to tie a waist line. Then covered with a cardie. I still had my jeans on underneath and was really heated.

Modest dress

We got to the wall and separated into the male and female sections. Up until now I had liked the city, but I hadn't really felt any deep spiritual connection with it. But I went up and sat by the women's section. There wasn´t any room at the wall, so I waited for an opening. I thought I should say something so I opened a siddur and said shema. A woman left and I went to take her spot by the wall. I put a prayer note into the cracks.

It was strange.

I put my hands against the wall. I started to say a prayer for my bobba in hospital, then for other people in my family who are sick . Then for the people in my family who are sad and stressed and in pain. Then I prayed for my friends and everyone I care about. I thought about how many off them needed prayers to be answered. How many had pains that I wished I could take away. I thought about all the people I didn't know who were in pain, who were sick, who were struggling, who were depressed. I thought about everyone I cared about that wasn´t with us anymore.

I realised I was crying.

It seemed bizarre that I should suddenly break down into tears. Ive never thought of myself as a religious person, but something about that place got to me.

Josh at western wall

Me, western wall

We walked in silence back up to the Christian quarter to our hostel.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cried reading this Em. I know exacly how you felt. There really is something about Jerusalem and the wall. The sense of spirituality and power of the emotion you feel standing at the wall is incredible.

That dress makes some fashion statement :-) ha ha

Love
Dad
xox

Dani said...

That was beautiful. x

Anonymous said...

Em, I felt so emotional reading this. Truly beautiful. xo