Thursday, June 19, 2008

Monday 16-06 - To Paros, not Paris

Up at 5am to catch the ferry to Paros, the first Cyclades island we are going to visit. We were late up so had to grab a very quick breakfast. I slurped down some coco pops then we walked to Syntagma square for the bus. The bus took us to Pirreus, the port of Athens.

I was expected a ferry like the one to rottnest. A small boat, dirty, with little room to sit. Or maybe even a slightly larger boat like in Sydney. Instead, I arrived to stand face to face with what looked like a cruise liner. It was enormous.

The ferry

Steamline

We followed the slow prossesion up the stairs and escalators (on a ferry!) to down our bags and find seats. We went to the unreserved seat section. It looked like an outdoor cafeteria on a boat. It was filled with tables and chairs and in the centre a coffee and food shop. Luckily it was all covered by tarpaulin. Our acropolis group found a table and tried to get some sleep leaning on it.

Needing sleep

Recovering from the 5am start

This didn't work very well. So we played a few rounds of Uno to fill the time. The whole trip would take 4 and half hours. After the Uno was done we did our own music/book things. I listened to some music and got some tea and a cheese spinecopita. I got a short amount of sleep, but it wasn´t particularly satisfying sleep. I felt the lack of sleep for most of the trip.

The view off the side was just empty for most of the trip. Finally I started to spot islands in the distance. We all started to perk up as we got closer. I could make out hills and then the tiny white houses that covered them. All the buildings on the island are white with blue trimmings. It really is quite spectacular. Photos just don't do it justice.

Parikia, Paros

Blue church

We started with a 5 minute tour of the island, from the port to the hotel. Niki showed us the supermarket and photo place and post office.

Our hotel is amazing, this picturesque white building with a garden of vines and flowers and old style windows. I couldn't believe we were staying here, it looks like a postcard. Across the street is the beach. The bright Greece sun lighting it up, making everything dreamlike.

Our hotel

There are mopeds and quad bikes all over the place. I think it is a large part of their tourism industry. Everyone rides them to the faraway beaches on the island. Paros is the third largest of the Cyclades, so you need transport to get to the other side.

Josh and I went to the next door taverna to get lunch. Every second shop is a taverna and every other shop is a beach supplies shop or moped hire. I had an Italian style pasta dish. I was getting a little Greek fooded out and needed a momentary break from souvlaki and gyros. The taverna was charming, just like everything else here. We looked out over the beach as we ate.

After lunch we went to meet the girls at the beach. Since there is so much beach, it took a short while to find them. It was worth it though because of the spot they picked. The sky was bright blue and the water glowed. It seemed to stretch out forever. The sand of the beach streamed off to a speck in the distance. It touched the hills with their tiny white houses. It was surreal.

Our local beach

I lay there in the sun, working on my tan. a lot of my shirts have sleeves. So lots of time in the sun = a very dark and very awkward sleeve tan. I´m trying hard to get rid of it now. Need to wear more strap sleeves until it evens out.

Perfect

Of the 3 islands we go to, this is the only one with drinkable tap water. So will make use of that while I can. We went on a walking tour of the town, up and down the streets. We stopped first at the 100 gates church, which has 99 points of entry.

100 gates church 01

We stopped on a white castle to watch the sunset.

Sunset 01

Sunset 03

shadow puppets

In the evening we went with some of the group to a restaurant. Niki said she often went there with her family when they holidayed in Paros. There were fairy lights all over and lovely tables all over.

Lights and vines

Josh and I sat on a table with the three 18 year old gap year people. We were all brought into the kitchen and shown each of the meals we could order. They all looked so amazingly tasty. So Josh and I decided to share a large tasting plate. It had Moussaka, meatballs, stuffed capsicum and an eggplant dish. They were well good.

Greek mixed grill plate

Like most places in Greece, the restaurant was filled with cats. They are strays but apparently get looked after well. None seem mangey at all and appear reasonably well fed. Here there was a tiny ginger kitten. It had giant eyes that could melt the coldest heart. It got fed by diners and was so accompanied by an never ending supply of cats.

As we asked for the bill, the host brought out small glasses for each of us with some clear liquid in them. He told us they were ouzo, on the house. We toasted to cats and drank what tasted more like cheap vodka.

Free Ouzo Yay, free Ouzo

A few shops down there was a bakery with traditional Greek desserts. We strolled down and picked up a sweet pastry filled with dripping honey and cream. It left sticky but awesome honey all over our hands.

Honey drenched pastry

We met up with some of the girls in their room. We some time playing liar. I managed to win a round for the first time. I have worked out my strategy. I know that I cant keep a poker face not matter how hard I try. So instead I smile guiltily everytime I put a card down. They couldn't tell when it was a real smile.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Hi Emma,
I read a lot of reports of Paros visits. Yours was the best combination of prose and photos.
Thanks for an excellent job.

Michael

P.S. The cheap vodka was a local drink called suma--it has other names on other islands. It is distilled grape skins.

Anonymous said...

hi em, just catching up with you...love the sleeping pic on the ferry! xx karen and sleeping-on-me aiden